You may remember last month we were challenged by Sheree Murphy and SMA Nutrition to cook and prepare a Beef and Carrot Risotto for Harry and today I will be sharing the recipe with you. As I previously mentioned babies should be given around 500-600ml of their usual milk a day as well as nutritious solids in the second half of their first year. Which is why SMA Nutrition have come up with this campaign to help new and first time mums through the tricky but exciting stage or weaning.
Beef & Carrot Risotto
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 20-25 minutes
Total time: 34-40 minutes
This recipe serves 4-6 portions
1 carrots (approximately 60g)
200g minced beef
30g finely chopped onion
1tsp of rapeseed or olive oil
40g uncooked risotto rice
Approx. 200ml low salt stock (made with a cube)
1. Gently fry the onion in a pan for roughly 2 minutes in a little oil
2. Add the chopped carrot and then fry for a further 10 minutes until the carrots soften
3. Then add the minced beef and stir occasionally until cooked through (if your baby is vegetarian you could replace the meat with additional vegetables such as mushroom and tomatoes)
4. Add the rice and stir continuously for 1 minute before adding some low salt stock
5. Cover with either lid or foil, keeping an eye on the rice to make sure it doesn’t dry out and stick to the pan. This should take around 20 minutes
6. Once the rice is tender, let it cool slightly before serving up
I found the recipe really easy to make and it only took about 15 minutes to prepare and then 20 minutes to cook which is great when I don't have much time in the kitchen especially when keeping an eye on Amelia and Harry. Harry got stuck right in when I gave him his first mouthful and finished it all although he wouldn't let me feed him towards the end as he prefers to feed himself. As he'd never tried beef prior to this I wasn't sure how he would take to it, but he didn't seem to have any trouble eating it which was good. I think because it was mince beef it was much easier to eat than say a piece of roast beef. We have cooked it a few more times since then as he enjoyed it so much!
How would you like to win a £100 fresh food voucher?
I have teamed up with SMA Nutrition to give away a voucher for fresh fruit and veg worth £100! All you need to do is:
- Leave a comment below telling me which recipe you would like to try from the Come Wean With Us Section (click here to view the recipes)
- Tweet this message via the Rafflecopter below: "I’ve entered the #Come&WeanWithUs challenge to #win £100 fresh food vouchers via @ohsoamelia_blog"
You must complete the Rafflecopter below for your entry to be included.
A winner will be announced on November 30th.
* In collaboration with SMA Nutrition. For details on how I work with brands take a look at my work with me page.
You might also like: