After giving birth most women ideally wish to get back to their pre-pregnancy weight and body shape as soon as possible. Of course this isn't going to happen instantly for everyone and to be honest who has the time when you are looking after a newborn? Some people are lucky and go back to their pregnancy weight not long after giving birth where as with others it can take a lot of hard work and commitment.
Here I have put together some tips to hopefully help you get back in shape after giving birth and get back to your pre-pregnancy weight if you wish to do so.
1. Don't Diet - Its been known that dieting can derail your post-pregnancy weight loss goals. Being deprived of your favourite foods while you are already stressed in your new role as a mum can actually cause you to gain weight! The best advice is to go back to healthy eating and eating for your hunger as most women find the weight comes off pretty naturally. Instead of dieting why not have a well-balanced variety of food and having small snacks throughout the day. Do not go below the recommended amount of calories, especially if you are breastfeeding!
Another suggestion is ease yourself into working out by slowly introducing yourself to new equipment. If you're unable to join a gym, bring the gym to you! I'd recommend looking into hiring a vibration plate from Hire Fitness which will help you shift a few pounds to begin with before buying a treadmill or cross-trainer. You can also buy these from www.hire-fitness.ie in Ireland too.
2. Breastfeed - I can't stress this enough. I think this is the main reason I lost all of my baby weight straight away. A week after giving birth and I was back to my pre-pregnancy weight and it has stayed off ever since due to breastfeeding! Breastfeeding can burn up to 500 calories a day! Although I know this isn't everyones preference which is absolutely fine!
3. Drink water - Drink plenty of fluids to keep your body hydrated. Water actually fills you up so you're not as hungry and it can speed up your metabolism. It is recommended that you drink up to 8 glasses of water a day.
4. Don't be lazy - Keep active! If you already have an older child I'm sure that your hands will be full but if this is your first baby you will probably be wanting to relax as much as possible. Its best to keep active and on the go. You are more likely to keep the weight off if you are up moving about all day.
5. Don't be afraid to ask for help - if you're unsure of how to loose those few extra pounds seek advice! Speak to your GP or dietician they may be able to help in some way with a eating plan. Many women have skin tightening treatments to give them that helpful boost to get things started and then continue from there with the exercising and healthy eating.
Those are my top tips for loosing the post baby weight. Not everyone is able to loose it as quick as others and some women just aren't fussed either way. Did you or will you be aiming to get back to your pre-pregnancy weight right away?
* For details on how I work with brands take a look at my work with me page.
You might also like: