Sometimes blogging can take over and you're left feeling overwhelmed, exhausted and sometimes with what's known as the dreaded bloggers block. This is when a blogging break comes in useful. "But I don't have any posts scheduled" I hear you say? Well fear not! You can still take a break without anyone knowing whilst updating some of your old content at the same time! By making a few simple tweaks to an old post of yours you can completely transform it and also bring some new traffic to your blog. So if you ever feel like you're having a bloggers burnout or you're tempted to quit your blog then read on.
Here's how I take a blogging break, re-use my old content and why it's a good idea for your blog...
1. It's quite simple really, I go back to my blogger "Dashboard", click on published posts and scroll down to an old post of mine usually from about a year or so ago. Sometimes I will choose a post which has had a lot of views already and sometimes I choose one which I like the sound of and think it could do with some more exposure if it didn't already gain a lot of views.
2. Once I have selected the post to re-use I update the image as my photos have usually changed a lot since back then. (A new eye catching image will draw more attention to the post).
3. I will also take this time to make any tweaks that may be needed, poor grammar etc.
4. I will then write at the top of my post "This post was originally published in ___________ (previous date of post) but I wanted to re-publish it for you today because I have a feeling that you'll love it as much as I did" or what ever you wish to write instead.
5. Now change the date to todays date (or the date you wish to re-publish if you are scheduling it)
6. Then you'll see it reappear at the top of your homepage on the date you have chosen.
* DO NOT CHANGE THE URL - If you decide to change the URL of the post and someone happens to click on the original link on Pinterest or somewhere else that it has been shared it will not direct them to that post. They will see a 401 page instead. You will be loosing out on traffic if you do.
It's as easy as that.
There are so many benefits to doing this:
+ You are giving yourself a much needed break without taking a break
+ It only takes 5 minutes to do
+ Your new readers won't have seen this post before so it will be new to them
+ Old readers may not have already read the post, if they have then it's also great to re-read an old post
+ By re-publishing your post you're giving it the chance to go viral once again
So, go on have that break you deserve and re-publish a few of your old posts by bringing them back to life again. If you are suffering from bloggers block I would highly suggest taking a step back from everything. Put down the laptop and switch off completely! When I have a bout of bloggers block I like to kick back my feet and catch up on the soaps on my new panasonic TV whilst scrolling through Instagram to feel inspired.
Do you ever re-use your old content? Is this something you would consider doing in the future? I'll be sharing different ways to increase traffic to your old posts soon, so make sure you keep an eye out for that if you're interested.
* This post contains a sponsored link however all word are my own and it's a topic I've wanted to share with you all for some time.