I love reading and story telling with Amelia whether that be by reading a book, watching a film or youtube video or on her interactive reader there are so many ways of telling stories. Over the last couple of years I have come to appreciate digital storytelling and the benefits it offers children. I love the opportunities it offers them to express themselves and communicate with an audience.
Cooberry is a new free website where children ages 4 to 12 can be entertained for 5 minutes each day through storytelling, eBooks, animations and fun facts. The site is designed to stimulate a child’s interest in reading as well as their vivid imagination. Even though Amelia isn't even 3 yet we sat down and watched some of the videos and she really enjoyed the animations.
The new site provides kids with a fun and educational alternative to TV. Storytelling, eBooks, animations and fun facts are all available in one online location so parents can bond and spend quality time with their children for five minutes each day – or watch a week’s worth of programming all at once together on the weekend. New content is added every day to the free site.
Cooberry.com is named after a special fruit that grows on a hidden island in the Pacific Ocean - Cooberry Island. This wonderful fruit is said to “coo” in the ear “eat me, eat me.” Children will enjoy whimsical stories and animation featuring the adventures of the various talking animals – JJ, Ace and Kate – which live on the mystical island of Cooberry. Other characters will be introduced as new stories and animations are added.
There are numerous educational benefits to storytelling for kids:
- It is a great way to educate pre-readers and enhance the length of their attention span for learning.
- It enhances memory and imagination.
- It teaches morals and positive behaviour – right from wrong.
- It helps connect concepts and ideas and their relationship to past, present and future.
- It helps children to open up and feel more confident and relaxed.
- Storytelling enables kids to think about telling or writing their own stories – thereby encouraging reading and writing.
- Repeated stories help children remember better – and they find familiarity with any repeated story comforting in times of stress.
Cooberry.com is compatible with PC or Mac - desktop, laptops and iPad but it is not compatible with mobile devices at this time. Visit Cooberry at http://www.cooberry.com and also check out the video below for the first video to get an insight into what's to come!
You might also like: