If you are an avid reader of this blog you may have noticed that we love books! Children's books in fact, I love switching up Amelia's book shelves each season/holiday with fun books to read over that month. Since she has a fair amount of books now I have decided to start a new family tradition and thought it would be nice to have a Christmas story every night in the run up to Christmas day... and so the Christmas Book Advent was born.
The idea is to buy 24 Christmas or winter themed books (you can include any books you like if you don't have that many Christmas books), wrap them up and put them under the tree or where ever you like. I have placed ours in a wicker basket which will be by Amelia's bed, however the options are endless. You could open them every morning or evening it's entirely up to you! Of course, some people (my partner included) may think it's a bit excessive buying so many Christmas themed books over the last couple of months but this is a calendar that can be used again year after year.
I've wrapped each book up in brown kraft paper and red & white twine which were both pretty inexpensive and numbered them for the 24 days until Christmas. I am super excited to unwrap these with Amelia every night before bed and know that she will love adding these to her bookshelf.
This is how our calendar looks this year:
1. Millie-Mae in Winter (Millie Mae Through the Seasons)
2. Betty and the Yeti
3. How the Grinch Stole Christmas!: Yellow Back Book (Dr Seuss - Yellow Back Book)
4. Little Miss Christmas (Mr. Men & Little Miss Celebrations)
5. The Dinosaur That Pooped Christmas
6. Penguin and Pinecone
7. How Many Sleeps till Christmas?
9. Father Christmas Needs a Wee
10. Henry's Holiday
11. Snow Bunny's Christmas Wish
12. One Snowy Night (A Tale from Percy's Park)
13. Bella Gets Her Skates on
14. Say Hello to the Snowy Animals!
15. The Gruffalo's Child
16. Stick Man
17. Big Bear Little Bear
18. Madeline's Christmas
20. The Christmas Tale of Peter Rabbit Book and CD