You may have seen last week myself and Boo are taking part in Foody February. The week Boo gave me her recipe for her Sausage Casserole. I love cooking chicken casserole however have never tried making a sausage one so couldn't wait to try this out.
3 large good quality sausages
1 onion (chopped)
2 cloves of garlic (chopped)
2 carrots (peeled & diced)
1 red pepper (chopped)
2 glasses of red wine
1 tsp of sugar
1/2 tsp of paprika (I used smoked but normal is fine)
1 tin of chopped tomatoes
1 small glass of water
This recipe can be made in a slow cooker or in the oven at 160c. If you are doing it in the oven, you will need a lidded casserole dish.
1. Cook the sausages as you would usually cook them. We grill them on a medium heat for about 25 - 30 minutes (turning regularly) or until they are cooked through.
2. Once the sausages are cooked, cut them into small bite sized pieces and place in your casserole dish.
3. In a large frying pan/wok stir fry together the diced carrots, chopped onions & garlic until the onions are soft, then place in the casserole dish.
4. Into the casserole dish, also put the chopped red pepper, wine, sugar, paprika, chopped tomatoes and water.
5. Stir all of the ingredients around and then either cook in a slow cooker or in the oven for 4 hours, until the sauce is bubbling and thickened.
This is one of those recipes that you can make in the morning and then let it stew all day. Boo cooks hers at about 160c for about 3 hours and then turns it down to about 110c until they are ready for it. It would also be fine in the slow cooker all day, just check it ever so often to make sure the liquid isn't all bubbling away/looking too dry - if it is, just add a little more water and stir through.
This is a really versatile recipe as you can use different types of sausages. Boo used chilli sausages this week and it gave the casserole such a yummy kick.
First of all sorry for the bad photo quality! I enjoyed cooking this and it was good to try something different than chicken. I can't remember the last time I ate sausages, but thought it would be nice to cook something different for a change and seeing as it's Valentine's Day I thought I would cut up some heart shaped potatoes. I don't eat peppers so left them out but it was just as nice without!
Andy picked up sparkling red wine in the supermarket by mistake so luckily I had a small bottle of red which I got 1 glass out of and mixed it with the sparkling so I think it should have been slightly darker but it tasted fine. It was actually really easy to prepare and I just threw it all together and let it cook in the oven for a couple of hours.
I will definitely cook this recipe again sometime as both myself and Andy really enjoyed it! (Andy had it after work and said it was delicious!).
This week Boo cooked my Lemon & Prawn Risotto recipe which you can see here.
Do you have any other casserole recipes I should try?
You might also like: