The festive season is full of little treats for everyone, so whether you love the food, the presents or the company, there is always something to look forward to during otherwise chill December. A firm favourite with many though, is the array of one-off TV specials and generally better-than-usual viewing that hits our screens at this time of the year.
Early indications are that 2013 will be one worth remembering, with many of our favourite TV shows set to hit the small screen with special episodes, Christmas-themed shows and more. Here are some of the ones to watch out for whether you’re on Freeview, Sky TV or digital TV from Virgin Media this Christmas.
· Call the Midwife: This series was hugely popular when it first aired last year, and has been commissioned for a third series which will be kicking off in early 2014. To bring remind the viewers of what had been going on in this 1950s-set East End drama, the BBC will be running a Christmas special during the festive season starring everyone’s favourite midwives, Miranda Hart, Heidi Thomas and Jessica Raine.
· Sherlock: Another highly popular series last year was Sherlock, and with this one due to return in 2014 with a third series, rumours are already abounding that there will be a Christmas special airing in the next few weeks. Producers have not confirmed this, but with the line-up of festive treats yet to be settled, you should keep an eye on the listings in case they do sneak one in.
· Mrs Brown’s Boys: It’s been said that there’ll be no new series of this hit Glaswegian comedy show for another two years yet, but despite this, the Beeb have confirmed that there will be not one, but two Christmas specials in 2013!
· Outnumbered: If you love the hi-jinks of the somewhat dysfunctional, typically middle-class British family featured in this popular show, then you’ll be pleased to hear they are planning a return to our screens over the Christmas break with an Outnumbered festive special.
· Midsomer Murders: It’s Christmas and DI Barnaby is preparing to become a father. And it’s not a cushion up his wife’s jumper either, as this episode was written when actress Fiona Dolman found out she was pregnant in real life. The episode, entitled ‘A Christmas Haunting’ is set to have viewers on the edge of their seats as Barnaby wrestles with the commitments of being a father, police officer and some of the strange goings on in Midsomer this Christmas.
· Charlie Brooker’s Screenwipe: Brooker is set to return to BBC2 with a brand new series of his Wipe shows in 2014, but in the meantime you can look forward to an hour-long special episode for Christmas 2013, looking back at the events of the year.
· Tom Kerridge Cooks Christmas: Fans of Masterchef will already be familiar with the down-to-earth Tom Kerridge’s style of cooking, and this Christmas he’s going to treat us to a festive feast all cooked by his own fair hand. A must-see for any Christmas cook who wants to give the big dinner a gourmet edge!
With many of the season’s TV treats yet to be announced or confirmed, make sure you’ve got your TV guide close at hand as the season draws near, as it seems 2013 is going to be a year for some terrific telly viewing.
* This is a guest post
* This is a guest post