I have never been to a wedding before so I had no idea what to expect as it was daunting enough without taking Amelia along too! As weddings tend to be a long day especially if you are there for the whole day it's best to be well prepared when taking a baby or toddler along.
Here are some of my tips from what we have learnt over the weekend:
1. Take plenty of food! - Double of everything especially for a toddler. We ended up running back home because for some reason she decided that she was extra hungry that day so we had to stock up on more! Take plenty of snacks to keep them quiet during the ceremony as you don't want a screaming baby running about. I packed plenty of cucumber, strawberries and cheese for finger foods along with some quavers and milky bars as a last resort.
2. Take an iPad/dvd player- This was a lifesaver! It kept Amelia occupied for a lot of the day especially is she was being fussy. It allowed us to be able to sit down with other guests and not have to worry about Amelia running wild. We gave her some snacks and she sat happily in her pushchair next to us.
3. If you live close to the venue or have a car it's a good idea to take a drive to get them off to sleep at nap time especially if you are there all day. We timed it just right with Amelia's nap time and took a 15 minute drive around the area and she was fast asleep by the time we got back. We then transferred her into the pushchair and then carried it over all the pebbles back inside and this allowed us to sit and enjoy good company.
4. Take a change of clothes - It's a good idea to take a couple of spare outfits, you never know how dirty they will get and if they have any accidents. You can always leave these in the car, but it's best to have them just incase. Also depending on the weather you may want to have different outfits for the day time and then evening event.
5. Don't stress - I was so worried how she would behave before the day, at one point i was even tempted not to go. However i thought heck there will be other kids running riot there they probably won't even notice Amelia unless she's having one of her dreaded tantrums. Relax and have a great day!
Do you have any tips to share from your experience of attending a wedding?
You might also like: