Friday, 5 July 2013

Be Prepared For The Beach With A Toddler

With summer finally here in the UK it's the perfect time to get to beach! We live pretty close to the beach, many of them in fact so we have plenty to choose from. Now that Amelia is a toddler we are looking forward to taking her over the upcoming months if the weather holds out. We went a hand full of times last summer but she was only 3 months old at the time even though we had a great time and of course we went on holiday when she was 6 months old. So both experiences were slightly different to what they would be now.

We most recently ventured to the beach with Amelia and she loved it! Shame the weather wasn't the greatest otherwise we would have been in the sea. She ate far too much sand for my liking and kept dunking her cucumber sticks into it and then eating them! Yummy!

A trip to the beach with an older baby or toddler brings similar concerns as a trip with a younger baby, except that you have less time to relax and need to more active and keep them entertained. Don't get stressed and have fun!

Here's some advice from my experience on taking a toddler to the beach:

Sun protection

Frequently apply sun lotion (factor 50+) to your little one, they may scream and throw a tantrum whilst trying to apply it but they will burn really easy if you don't. It's a good idea to apply some before you leave as they don't like sand coated hands when applying cream. Try and spend as much time as possible in the shade, if you can't find any shade it's a good idea to have a small tent or umbrella handy for nap time or snack time. Ensure you bring hats and sunglasses, even if they won't keep them on for longer than 5 minutes at a time. You can get many swimwear and cover ups which are with sun protection. For little girl swimwear if they are wearing a two piece that you apply suncream on all bare bits.

Keep hydrated and plenty of snacks

Breast or bottle may not be enough anymore, your toddler may need some snacks to keep them happy and bring a sippy cup or bottle with water. It's always best to pack more than you will actually need. Bring fruit as that will keep them hydrated, also yoghurts are a good idea too.

Avoid peak sun

Its best to avoid the sun when it is at is hottest between 12pm and 3pm. Its a good idea to have an early beach day and go home for a nap or go to the beach in the late afternoon after a nap. Or you could keep   them under an umbrella all day and enjoy the beach all day long.

Bring some toys

Now that your toddler is older they will want to keep entertained, bringing along toys and maybe a bucket and spade would be a good idea also a beach ball! Amelia loved playing with the sand and 'building' sandcastles. Bring plenty of beach toys so they don't get bored.

Here are some tips that I discovered whilst being at the beach:

1. Use reusable swim nappies such as lil swimmers if your toddler isn't potty trained yet.
2. Bring a sun tent, they are fantastic for keeping little ones shaded and work well as a 'camp'.
3. Don't bother taking the pushchair on the beach! You get sand EVERYWHERE! - Carry them from the car and if you need to put them in if for nap time go back to the car. Bring a carrier if possible.
4. Bring double the amount of towels that you think you will need. Keep 1 set in the car with a change of clothes just incase. You never know when your toddler may run into the sea.
5. Don't forget a plastic bag for rubbish and wet clothes.
6. Your toddler will get sand in places you would never have thought of, don't worry about cleaning them down at the beach wait until you get home and hose them down.
7. Beach shoes such as jelly sandals are a great item to purchase. Keep your toddlers feet off the hot sand and also any rocks/shells about.
8. Bring some kids swimming goggles especially if they don't mind going under water.
9. Your toddler WILL try and eat sand! Just don't let them eat too much
10. Lastly don't forget the camera! You will want to snap a few shots of your little one in their swim suit!

Do you have any advice on taking a toddler to the beach? What have I missed? Keep an eye out for a beach essentials post coming soon.

* This post contains a sponsored link

Facebook
You might also like:

133 comments:

1. and most of all, have lots of fun :-)

ReplyDelete
  2. We haven't been to the beach yet but will make sure got plenty of sun cream and a hat

ReplyDelete
  3. Take lots of toys to keep them entertained and perhaps go rockpooling :-)

ReplyDelete
  4. Make sure there's some shade for your little one and keep them cool with drinks of water.

ReplyDelete
  5. keep put of the sun as much as possible, even in the shade little ones can get heat stroke and dehydration very quickly.

ReplyDelete
  6. Take plenty of wet wipes!

7. These are great tips! Ill have to remember these for next Summer! xx

ReplyDelete
  8. A day at the beach needs the planning of a military campaign with a toddler.

ReplyDelete
  9. can't wait to get my youngest on the beach now hes walking :)

ReplyDelete
  10. Great beach tips. I definitely make sure to carry tons of drinks and snacks with us whenever we go to the beach.

11. Sarah O'Gorman5 July 2013 20:48

Always carry a little bottle of water .. just for washing sand out of eyes ... its amazing how easily they fall and then rub their eyes or it blows in ...

ReplyDelete
  12. sunscreen, sunscreen & sunscreen!!

ReplyDelete
  13. Great advice, a t-shirt is also useful on the beach to help stop from them from burning.

ReplyDelete
  14. Take a camera, lots of funny shots guaranteed!

ReplyDelete
  15. I take optrex for the inevitable sand in eyes moment!

ReplyDelete
  16. I always cover up arms with a light fabric as well as sun protection. We catch the sun easily in our family!

ReplyDelete
  17. Great advice. The beach is a wonderful place for children.

ReplyDelete
  18. Your tips are great that that picture is just beautiful!

@LaaMoii

ReplyDelete
  19. i always freeze a 2litre water and leave in car in cool bag, that way we always got ice cold drink when we get back to car

ReplyDelete
  20. Shade is so important and not just in the short term!

21. Great advice!

Can I recommend Nivea Refresh and Protect for anyone who hasn't tried it already? It's a continuous spray, which works at all angles and doesn't stain clothes. So you can literally spray while chasing and top up backs of necks while they're playing without them even noticing. I don't know what we would have done without it on holiday!

22. Stefan Ingram6 July 2013 14:30

Yes, my sister is thinking of taking my nephew to the beach. If she hasn't already will give her some ideas on how to protect her son from the sun.

ReplyDelete
  23. The beach is a fun day out and one of the few things that is still free these days!

ReplyDelete
  24. This looks like heaven!

ReplyDelete
  25. love the beach took a trip yesterday but so busy! couldnt stretch your legs out without kicking another family sitting so near to you - not a fan of the beach when that busy! ha !x

ReplyDelete
  26. We live across the road from the beach. It's great just to pop down when the sun's out. It feels like you're on holiday but we're just 100 yards from our house!!!

ReplyDelete
  27. Love the beach but just hanging in the paddle pool with dill today - Deborah Dodge - lucky12dodge x

ReplyDelete
  28. Fabulous tips, I love the beach but when we took Amy the first time after she started walking, I had a minor meltdown. There was sand everywhere! Argh!

29. Jackie Lovegrove Walter7 July 2013 16:02

always make new memories at the beach, I have many happy ones from my childhood

ReplyDelete
  30. Great advise and what a gorgeous photo!

ReplyDelete
  31. We took rio to the beach for the first time yesterday..people may also neexto plan for 'incase your child actually hates the beach' haha..sand is horrible apparently x

ReplyDelete
  32. wow such a pretty picture and great ideas!

ReplyDelete
  33. Beyond the advice for avoiding sunburn/heat stroke take lots of fluids and a spare bag to put wet/sandy clothes and swimmers in.

34. a blusher brush is great for getting rid of sand between little toys

35. Nicola Lynch7 July 2013 18:25

Thanks for all these tips, have bookmarked for future use :-)

ReplyDelete
  36. Take a small inflatable pool for toddlers to save them running of to the water

ReplyDelete
  37. I get to go to the beach a few times a year as in laws have a van, the kids love it

ReplyDelete
  38. Fab list. Always have extra SPF ;)

ReplyDelete
  39. Great list. Now we just need the sun to stay with us for longer.

ReplyDelete
  40. you've pretty much got everything I would have! Deffo remember the camera to take gorgeous photos like that one! Happiest memories with the family can be made at the beach :)

ReplyDelete
  41. Bucket and spade is a must for the beach toy wise!

ReplyDelete
  42. My best family memories are on the beach with a bucket and spade if its warm or kite or ball if not x

ReplyDelete
  43. Lovely! We live right beside the beach! We visit it almost daily!

44. a hat and sunscreen are a must

ReplyDelete
  45. I always took far more food than I thought I'd need - sea air and exercise means everyone eats more!

Hazel rea - @beachrambler

46. Great advice!

When applying the suncream, why not turn it into a game? I do with J, he has to name the body parts I've put it on, we used to play a simpler game when he was younger - he'd have to point to the part he wanted it on.

ReplyDelete
  47. Great tips. I live near the coast and found out the pitfalls the hard way!

ReplyDelete
  48. Thank you for these tips hunny!
    We will be hitting the beach soon with Hayden so these will come in so handy

Lotte xo
    BericeBaby || Parenting Lifestyle Baby Blog

49. Some great tips! Need to take Jack to the beach soon!xo

ReplyDelete
  50. I don't have any children, but I wanted to point out that your first three tips are very relevant to adults as well. Heck, the first one about bringing plenty of toys is somewhat accurate too. I would make sure to bring plenty of things to keep myself occupied as well. :-)

ReplyDelete
  51. That is such a cute photo!!! I love it :)

52. She's so cute! And great tips too (:

ReplyDelete
  53. Great tips! I find that on the rare days we get sun in Scotland (funnily enough we're having a heatwave right now, YEAH!) the beach is a brilliant cheap day out! My boys love collecting shells, going about the rockpools looking for crabs and wee bugs and of course building sandcastles. We'll be heading there this week if this weather keeps up!

ReplyDelete
  54. Great advice thanks. When my friend took her little one to the beach for the first time she wouldn't walk on the sand, she didn't like the sensation on her feet. It would be a good idea to let your baby/toddler stand in the sand at home prior to a day at the beach so that they get used to the feeling. Thanks

ReplyDelete
  55. Being a mom to be (near future) it's always good to read such nice advices ;)
    Thanks!

ReplyDelete
  56. wonderful advice much needed for this sunny weather and sunny trips to the beach :)

57. great advice and thanks so much for the chance to win these. xx

58. Great place for sound advice

ReplyDelete
  59. The beach for me is personally always a scary place to take a toddler due to the sea and it really only takes a split second for an accident to happen so for me personally i try to avoid taking toddlers to beaches especially if i'm only myself as i feel better if theirs two or more adults their watching the toddlers as that means more set of eyes on the toddler incase *touch wood* an accident was to happen.

60. Such a lovely blog! :) x http://busybeemummybex.blogspot.co.uk

ReplyDelete
  61. Kids love the beach, all you need is a bucket and spade and some sandwiches. You just need to make sure the that kids are covered up and with sunscreen

ReplyDelete
  62. A Paddling pool or tarp (and a bucket!) is great - you can make your own personal sea!

63. lots of suncream and wetwipes

ReplyDelete
  64. we have not been on the beach with my youngest yet but when we do we will have plenty of suncream his hat plenty of water for him etc etc :)

ReplyDelete
  65. Every year I am horrfid by what I see at the beach, naked babies/toddlers being allow to crawl in the sand or wonder off - it scares me to death!

66. I'm not a big fan of the beach tbh but these are very good tips!! x

ReplyDelete
  67. Just in time for the shining sun :)

ReplyDelete
  68. Good tips and a nice pic too.

69. Kate Sabin-Burns12 July 2013 10:43

Making me long for the beach now haha

70. Maggie Osborn12 July 2013 13:53

We loved making sandcastles when we were kids :)

71. cant wait to take my little lady to the seaside this year

ReplyDelete
  72. I took my lo to the beach for the first time last week. i thought he would hate it but he loved it i had to run after him as he wanted to go into the water then he fell on his bum in his nappy luckily i had caught up to him and taken off his trousers!

ReplyDelete
  73. Buy buckets and spades from a supermarket and bring them with you, or else you pay a tonne for them at a beach side stall!

ReplyDelete
  74. some very essential tips you have listed, and other commenters too! will keep in mind, thanks

ReplyDelete
  75. Slap on the sunscreen! If your have any tips that gets them to keeps their hats on, please post!

ReplyDelete
  76. We lvie in Brighton so we are 5 minutes away from the beach but ours is covered in stones that dogs walk on as well as drunk people dropping alcohol, peeing on the stones etc. I let my daughter play with the stones (throw them in the water etc) but am very careful not to let her put it to her mouth and am wiping her hands constantly. You just don't know what's lurking in a big public space like that x

ReplyDelete
  77. And always take some change for ice cream! I'm lucky to live next to several beaches so spend lots of time there over the summer

78. Jane Middleton12 July 2013 22:44

Love the picture for this post, really cute

79. have lots of fun and don't get hung up on baby getting wet/sandy etc

ReplyDelete
  80. This will be our family next year in Tenerife. I decided to pay for the whole family to be together for one week (I may live to regret LOL) That will be 6 adults and 3 grandchildren! Baby Addison will be just toddling and we will have to have eyes in the back of our heads!

ReplyDelete
  81. I took my daughter (6 months) to the beach last week for the first time. And of course she ate a handful of sand - oops!

82. @sallylearning13 July 2013 13:04

keep hydrated!

ReplyDelete
  83. Great set of handy hints!

ReplyDelete
  84. I agree with the other poster wet wipes are great... Not just at the beach but for everything lol

85. trevor linvell13 July 2013 16:09

Looks like a great day

86. excellent advice @mandsmanc

87. Great tips I will be following your advice on our upcoming beach trip xx

ReplyDelete
  88. Great article, but more than anything I wanted to say what a lovely photo that is, ever so well taken and one to cherish.

ReplyDelete
  89. Great tips - the beach is still a cheap way to keep young children entertained

ReplyDelete
  90. Lots of good advice here, I always try and keep my little one's sandals on whilst on the beach, just never know what is lurking there that may cause injuries.

91. andrea lloyd14 July 2013 17:22

great advice thank you

ReplyDelete
  92. The best tip I just learned was to take talcum powder, sprinkle on your children's feet and the dried sand just comes off. I remember as a child walking up and down to the water to get a bucket of water to rinse my feet, only for them to be no better and it felt like my mum was scrubbing my feet to remove the sand, either that or my sandy feet would be rubbing against my sandals making my feet sore. No more, not now I know about talc.

ReplyDelete
  93. Thank you for your great tips!
    My top tip is to make sure you are using a natural cream when it comes to your baby and toddler's skin. Just to be on the safe side!

ReplyDelete
  94. Such a sweet picture of the wee one at the beach!

95. lovely pic :) and great tips x

96. Waterproof picnic blanket as water got everywhere

ReplyDelete
  97. Great tips. I always use a lotion that lasts for 6 hrs so that you dont have to re-apply on the beach when they are covered in sand.

ReplyDelete
  98. watch out for sand rubbing off suncream as it exfoliates the skin and takes the cream with it!

99. Plenty of factor 50,and water bottle

ReplyDelete
  100. Great advice & tips, thank you :)

ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. I love reading them all and will try my best to answer all of your questions. If you would like to contact me for a quicker response please feel free to tweet me at (@ohsoamelia_blog) or email me. Kerry