These fishcakes are quick and simple to make. They make great snacks or can make a meal time treat served with either salad, rice or home cooked chips the options are endless. You can also make up a batch and store in the freezer for quick lunch time meals. Can you guess I've been eating fishcakes all week....yum!
Salmon (2 or 3 fillets)
zest 1/2 lemon, plus wedges to serve
1 egg, beaten
100g dried breadcrumbs
2 tsp tomato ketchup
2 tsp English mustard (optional)
Chopped parsley/ dill or coriander
Salad or serve (or home-cooked chips)
1. Heat your grill and place the potatoes in a pan of boiled water. Cook until soft and drain. Leave to steam-dry then mash. I added seasoning to the mash.
2. Season the salmon and grill or place in the oven for 5-6 mins until just cooked. Let the salmon cool for a few minutes and break into large flakes.
3. Add ketchup, lemon zest and herbs to the potato and lightly mix in the salmon flakes. Try not to break these up too much.
4. Shape into 4 large fish cakes(or however many you are making for)
5. Put the flour, egg and breadcrumbs into 3 separate bowls. Dip the cakes into the flour, then dip into the egg and finally coat in breadcrumbs.
6. Heat the oil in a large pan and fry the cakes on a medium heat for 3-4 minutes each side until deep golden and completely heated through. Serve with salad or home-cooked chips and lemon wedges. (Optional - add horseradish or mayo on the side)